The AVG-Carhif is an archive and research centre specialized in women’s history.
The AVG realizes historical research, informs on current research in gender history and organizes activities to sensitize the general public on the subject of women’s history.
At the centre you can consult a vast collection of archives, books, magazines and pictures on women’s history and the history of the women’s movement in Belgium. Both women's organizations and private individuals can contact the AVG to make sure their archives will be kept under professional guardianship.
• The reading room of AVG-Carhif closes starting from March 16 2020, following the measures to contain covid-19. We hope to re-open soon and do our best to answer your questions in the mean time.
• Our exhibition Liberating women, changing the world: feminism in the 1970s in Belgium (BELvue museum Brussel, till 24/05/2020) is closed till april 4 following the measures to contain covid-19.
• The AVG-Carhif holds a lot of sources that can be used by history students in their master thesis. Every year we make a list of possible subjects. The subjects are now online, in Dutch and French.
• In 2015 the Archive and Research Centre for Women’s History launched a supporting network, the Friends of the AVG-Carhif !
• Pedagogical tools of the AVG:
• Follow us on Facebook !